Guide to the
Renault Kangoo ZE van
This page is not yet complete
The Renault Kangoo ZE is the world's top selling electric van and has been available in the UK since 2012. It uses the same Kangoo II bodyshell as the diesel variant, so available in either a short-wheelbase or long-wheel base, called the Maxi, with crewcab versions.
The electric motor has a peak power of 44kW (59hp), maximum torque is 226 Nm (167 lbf·ft) and its top speed is capped electronically to 81mph (130 km/h). It has a 22kWh battery pack and like all Renaults, this is leased. It is only from 2017 models, where there was an option to purchase the battery when new. Like the Zoe, battery owned models are denoted by "i" - i.e. "Kangoo i ZE".
In late 2013, the Kangoo van got a facelift, with a new front end (bumper, grill and lights). Inside the changes were minimal with new stereos, resigned air vents and the R-Link sat nav was available. There were no changes to the electric powertrain other than the charging socket at the front is now a Mennekes type 2, whereas all previous models had the J1772 type 1 connector.
The first significant changes come in late 2017 with the launch of the new 33kWh battery pack, which increases the NEDC range to 170 miles , which was previously 110 miles with the 22kWh battery. This new model also gains a heatpump heating system and a 7kW charger, knocking 2 hour off the charging time.
Service & maintenance schedule
The maintenance schedule must be maintained during the warranty period and for vans with hired batteries this must continue beyond. Fortunately the maintenance on an electric vehicle is minimal and the main dealer charges are low. The service schedule on a Kangoo ZE is:
- First year or 12,500 miles only - First year ZE service - items (1) only
- Every 2 years or 25,000 miles - Inspection service and replace cabin filter
- Every 4 years or 75,000 miles - Replace brake fluid and 12V battery
- Every 6 years or 100,000 miles - Replace coolant
The inspection service consists of:
- Check the coolant pump, vacuum pump & electric motor fan assembly (1)
- Check insulation fault detector (1)
- Anti-corrosion check
- Check & lubricate the bonnet lock
- Check the levels, condition & sealing of the cooling circuit (2)
- Check the levels, condition & sealing of the brake circuit (1) (3)
- Check the condition & sealing of the gators/rubber mountings/ball joints/shock absorbers (1)
- Check the condition & pressure of the tyres and road wheel security (1)
- Check the presents of the wheel valve caps
- Check the wear of the brake discs and pads (1)
- Check the signalling & exterior lighting (1)
- Check the condition of the windscreen & door mirrors
- Check the wiper blades and screen washer fluid level (1)
- Check the presence of the airbag & engine compartment labels
- Check the 12V battery with test tool (1)
- Check the computers with the diagnostic tool (1)
- Check the operation of the instrument panel warning lights
- Reinitialise the maintenance service display (not after the first ZE service)
- Documentation and positioning of the maintenance label
(2) Coolant is Glaceol RX type D
(3) Brake fluid is DOT 4 ISO class 6
You can book a service online. Some have reported cheaper pricing when booking online via Renault rather than telephoning the local dealer direct.
The manufacturer's warranty on a Kangoo ZE is:
- Vehicle - 4 years/100,000 miles (unlimited in first 2 years)
- Electric drivetrain - 5 years/100,000 miles (unlimited in first 2 years)
- Paintwork - 3 years/unlimited mileage
- Anti-corrosion - 12 years/unlimited
The electric powertrain consists of the electric motor, reduction gear, charger, EVC controller, inverter, DCDC converter & high voltage cables between these components.
Extending the warranty up to 10 years
You can extend the warranty by buying an annual warranty from Renault. You can only do this while the original warranty is in place, so it must be purchased before the van is four years old, with less than 100,000 miles. That extended warranty covers parts and labour for another year and with unlimited mileage. You can continue to renew the warranty annually, until the van is 10 years old and to a maximum of 100,000 miles.
The benefits of Renault extended warranty are:
- Full cost of parts, labour and VAT for any number of claims (up to a total equivalent to the purchase price of your vehicle)
- Out of pocket expenses like towing, car hire and overnight accommodation are all included
- The cover is valid for trips to EU countries as well as throughout the UK
- When purchasing online, you will have the option to pay by direct debit or in full, by credit or debit card
The current cost for the extended warranty is £289. This can either be paid as a lump sum or paid by direct debit over 10 months. Think that's too expensive? It's only the cost of a service on a traditional engine car! Further details can be found below.